
(Bubble Toes)
It is amazing how one decision can alter your life in such ways that tug and pull you in directions you didn't fully expect...I could apply this to many different decisions in my life, but I am referring to my choice to become a nurse. I remember holding my breath, my vision blurring from looking at my application prior to turning it in - wishing, hoping and knowing that one day I would become a nurse.
With Summer classes I am seven quarters in and one left to finish. I am more then excited and counting the days - literally (See my previous post :-) Although, moments seem to arrive and then past too quickly, I know now the bubble will roll to the finish before bursting.
The past two years have been filled with every emotion I have studied about, my sleep is pretty much non-existent, the people I see are limited either at school/home/work, my mind is always dictating my classes/homework/pathophys of the body, etc. The craziest thing about school, is that life continues as if you are running with it - I try daily to stick my head out the window and suck in the air, but with limited time it seems to be done starring at my watch or by clicking of a timer.
The rigors of nursing requires full attention to the school environment - no given time given for life. Paper after paper, all in APA format. Nursing process repeated till you start to have dreams of evaluation and interventions. Long clinical hours and intense patients. Lunches/dinners postponed till a break, since every week there is something else due, some other task that demands your attention.
It seemed as if everyday the last quarter I thought, next week will be less busy...and by Monday the week was filled and assignments piled - time was fragile and balancing between school, my son and my partner, was shockingly similar to scheduling out with a receptionist.
Trying to claim my body has had me quickly realize that I am excited to claim my mind. Please don't misunderstand - I LOVE school, I adore learning, and I plan on always having my head wrapped about a textbook or research article. But, I am excited for the freedom to roam to the topics of highest interest - although I find at least a little useful information is every class I have sat through, I am excited to pour myself into my passions and thoughts.
This week for the first time in ages, I slept in - till noon-thirty no less! It was such an amazing treat I still feel peaceful from laying without the rupture of my alarm to wake me.
The home stretch lays in my path, and for the first time since nursing school started - I feel like I am starting with both feet on the ground, ready to hammer through what awaits.
I feel ya sister! I'm still trying to believe that you got sleep though! :)
ReplyDelete