Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Being a mother of a six-year-old

























My son, now six, is so cool. I remember at 22, looking at the faint pink line thinking - no way. Six tests later it was confirmed - I was going to be a mother. What kind of mother I didn't know, but I hoped.

From the moment I saw his heart beating on the ultrasound, tears fell from my eyes and I was in love. When he was an infant, I was on cloud 9 - I could not believe something so amazing was a part of my life.

Clothes started to not fit days after he had wore them. He continued to grow and learn. Seeing the world with the eyes of a child is unreal.

Now, he is six, in elementary school, reading, writing, counting, adding, subtracting - a total sponge. Tonight I put him to bed and he wanted to read 10 books... TEN! I mean what do you say, No? So he read ten, then said he wanted to read more - as I left I heard him turning the pages reading out loud.

At the age of six many different things come up that as adults we really don't think much about...

Like my son had never used a urinal before he went to school - I sure can't show him that, I would get chased out of the bathroom - not to mention it NEVER occurred to me. (I mean, I was happy to get him to urinate standing!) The first month of Kindergarten hadn't even finished yet, and the teacher pulled me aside before taking him home. Logan went to the principals office. As my face turned red, I manged to ask, why? It turns out four of the boys urinated on the floor in the bathroom and made quite the mess.

I am sorry he did what? How could my nice, kind child pee all over the floor!? Letting my initial shock settle, it was later I asked Logan what had happened.

Well as it turns out, one boy was urinating into the urinal and accidentally turned - getting urine on the floor. The three other boys laughed, and now there were four boys urinating on the floor giggling with laughter. (OK, that makes sense - what do I have to do as a mom? Certainly, I can't show my grin...it was really hard not to though.)

So we talked about what happens when you urinate on the floor - you could slip, someone else could slip, who would clean up the mess, how they would clean it and then asked him - would you want to slip in urine? (Ah-HA I thought to myself, I think I am pulling this off!)

So far he hasn't soiled the floor in the bathroom - mission accomplished!

Then only a few short weeks later, I got to have another pulled aside moment with the teacher. Logan pulled his pants down in class. Huh?- For REAL? in the middle of class, really? And the story is much more priceless then my reaction...

I believe it had to be the same group of boys were talking about their penis' - except Logan used the word penis and others used words like pee-pee, tee-tee, etc. Since none of them could agree what their penis' were called, they had a match of yea-huh - not-ah, Yeh-Huh - Not-ah, YEH-Huh! - NOT-AH! Logan decided he would make sure everyone was talking about the same thing and display himself "This is My PENIS!" (I am not sure he proclaimed it this way, but this is how the story came back to me...)

ha Ha HA!!! So again, trying to hide my grin - we talked about why at school we should keep our pants on in class - and when it's ok to pull them down - in the bathroom or changing room. We came up with going to the bathroom, rained on, big HUGE mud splash, they catch fire, they are trying to pull him into a tornado, and many other amazing options.

Like every relationship, he can test my boundries, but at the grocery store today when he plowed into me with the cart (he wasn't looking)...I did it - the mother's glare. Slightly shocked Logan ducked under the handle of the cart and quickly apologized. Wow, my mothering has reached a whole new level today - I never thought I would get the glare, honestly I am still pondering it now - guess maybe some more sleep might help.... maybe in 5wks 3 days :-)

There are so many funny moments I get to share with him. Gabe and I share many grins at the dinner table. I am such a lucky mother to have such an amazing child (I know I am bias) but one day I will tell him how much he has helped me become the person I am.

1 comment:

  1. You are an amazing mother Laura! There is a reason that Logan is so great, and it's you. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete